Today on the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast I chat with computer scientist Cal Newport. He is a professor at Georgetown University and the author of several books including his latest, Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World.
The common thread in all his writing and work is an examination of the intersection between new technology and society. He seeks to understand how technology impacts our ability to work productively and live happy lives.
Newport has also been blogging for over a decade on his own site, and his writing has been featured in major publications such as New York Times, Wall Street Journal, New Yorker, Washington Post, and Economist.
In today’s episode, we discuss how and why many of us have developed an unhealthy relationship with our digital behaviors, and how we can learn to put down our phones and engage in more meaningful leisure activities in real life.
Questions I ask Cal Newport:
- Why is a computer scientist talking advocating for decreasing our digital footprint?
- What is causing us to engage in the compulsive digital behavior that we don’t like?
- What is high-quality leisure and how do we create more of it?
What you’ll learn if you give a listen:
- Why we need an overarching philosophy for the way in which we interact with tech.
- How self-reflection plays a role in realigning your digital priorities.
- Why to look at scaling back your digital footprint as an investment rather than a cost.
Key takeaways from the episode and more about Cal Newport:
Like this show? Click on over and give us a review on iTunes, please!
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by About.US.
Choosing the right domain name is critical to ensuring the success of your small business. Help your business stand out with a .US domain name. Easy to remember, unique, and trustworthy, now is the time to secure the domain name that you want with a .US web address.
We have a special offer just for our listeners. Register your .US domain name for just $1.49 for a full year, plus get access to a free website builder and hosting service for 6 months. To take advantage of this offer, go to www.launchwith.us and use the promo code PODCAST.